Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fabric Possibilities

The most challenging thing I have done thus far 
is creating something beautiful and useful out of various treasured fabrics.
Like 80's Prom Dresses, for example.  

My sister asked if I would make her a blanket out of some these random fabrics. 


She had one blanket that was one of her FAVORITES, 



but it had acquired many holes, tears and rips,  
she was sad to not be able to use it anymore. 

Then she thought of me and KNEW I could make something lovely for her out of the remaining fabric...

Along with the pile of other fabrics!!!


I was quite unsure as to what I was going to do, 
or how I was going to piece them together. 
Normally I would not have picked any of these fabrics,  
but as you know 
I didn't pick MOST of the other fabrics that make up most of my sewn items.


I always do my BEST to make sure it is thought out,drawn out and measured...
I LOVE it and I don't because it can be soooo tedious,  
but the end result is ALWAYS worth it!!!



I chose to piece together these fabrics, based on what I had and what looked good together.



It was quite a challenge working with thin, thick, 
upholstery cotton and silky fabrics and sewing them all together.

Here is how one side of the blanket has turned out so far,
 I LOVE it!!!!!



The flowered piece was once a roman shade curtain that she had made,  
I love that you can still see her red stitch lines beside my golden stitches...


I had so much fun putting this side of the blanket together,
I look forward to sewing the other side tomorrow.....
STAY TUNED!!!!




In return for making this for my sister she is making me some beautiful pottery. 
I already have a collection of pieces that she has given me throughout the years 
as gifts for birthdays or Christmas, 
or maybe something I admired and 
she was thinking it was imperfect.....


 I understand as an artist, 
we see the flaws in something we have created,  

but someone enjoying the piece
sees a Work of Art, 
a masterpiece if you will,
 they see flaw at all.

Here is some of her work...

...let me know if you see anything you like,  
she will be opening up an etsy store VERY soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails